Friday 20 February 2015

Film Review - The Pirates

The Pirates was one of the most successful South Korean movies of 2014. It was on my "plan to watch" list for a long time and finally, I have seen it.





STORY


Rating - 8/10

The story resolves around a group of pirates and bandits, who are trying to find a whale, which swallowed a boat with many valuable items, but also with a new royal seal.

The synopsis looks kind of ridiculous, I know. But once the story story started it is not that bad. 

The story itself is nothing special, but it is done in an entertaining way. There are many hilarious scenes, which just cracked me up. There are also some scenes, which were ridiculous (like the scenes with the whale), but I can overlook that. 

Most of the fighting scenes were directed well, but the first scenes were kind of confusing and difficult to follow. Then it got better.


I could say that this movie is kind of a Korean version of "The Pirates of the Caribbean". However, the American original is much better, unfortunately. It might be because of the budget as well. I suppose that Hollywood movie will have a higher budget than a Korean movie.


CAST/ACTING

Rating - 9/10



Son Ye Jin
as Yeo Wol (Pirate)

I watched this movie because of Son Ye Jin, as she is my ultimate favourite Korean actress. I was kind of disappointed with her acting, but it was her first time starring in this type of movie, so it must have been challenging. I always appreciate that she tries out different types of roles and does not always stick to her original innocent characters (e.g. The Classic).

I would normally like her type of character, but this time, I did not. The badass thing just did not work with me. If she was more sassy, I would probably like her character.

Kim Nam Gil
as Crazy Tiger (Bandit)

This was my first time watching something with him. His looks are kind of unique but he is a good actor. I think that he fits well in historical movies. When I tried to watch "Shark", I could not watch it because of his looks there. The moustache is so weird. However, it fits well into historical productions.

I must say that he pulled off the comic scenes very well, but the serious scenes were not as good. I wonder if he is one of the actors, who cannot switch from comedy to drama that easily. It is a difficult thing to do, so I completely understand.

I really liked his character here. It was fun to watch him and I was pulled in by his acting.

In the future, I will definitely watch something with him, but it must be something which is set in the past. Otherwise, I will not be able to get over his appearance :D


The Pirates/Bandits
The comedic scenes were taken care of by the actors who portrayed the pirates or bandits. Many great actors like Shin Jeong Keun, Yoo Hae Jin and Park Chul Min made the movie entreating to watch. With their brilliant acting skills, they have enlighten the scenes.


I also have to mention Lee Kyeong Yeong. Just after I finished the drama, I have realised that he

was in Misaeng. I have to say that he is an amazing actor!

As for Sulli, she just had a minor role. I did not mind her here.



MUSIC

Rating - 10/10

Right after I heard the music in the intro credits, I bought the OST from iTunes. The soundtrack
is really good and it is worth to listen to it.




OVERALL

Rating - 8/10


The movie was fun to watch but nothing special. The beginning kind of dragged and then the 
second half was kind of rushed. But in general, I enjoyed this movie and it made me laugh. 
That's what matters to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment